This recipe is not actually my own, but is from Katy Beskow’s ’15 Minute Vegan’ book. I’ve put it here not only because it’s really excellent and easy to make, but also because this was my first ever attempt at cooking with butternut squash – I wasn’t quite ready to branch out and create my own recipe! However I will definitely be getting creative with it soon! Despite the recipe claiming to take 15 minutes, it took me almost an hour due to the fact that I had to prep all the ingredients first, and my butternut squash was a bit of a pain… worth it though! She writes in her recipe book the tip that ‘to cook the butternut squash in the fastest time, ensure it is ripe and chopped into small, even pieces’.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small, even pieces
- 200g dried macaroni
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2tsp dried sage
- 400ml hot vegetable stock
- Generous pink of coarse sea salt and black pepper
- Small handful of fresh basil, to garnish
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Carefully add the squash to the water and cook over a medium heat for 10-11 minutes until very soft, then drain.
- Place the macaroni in a separate saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Sprinkle over the sage, then cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Spoon the onion, garlic and sage mixture into a blender or food processor, along with the butternut squash. Pour in the vegetable stock and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Pour the smooth sauce over the macaroni and stir through thoroughly. Season with sea salt and black pepper and garnish with basil.