I’d just finished cooking with potatoes, when I realised that I had several potatoes left over that didn’t fit in my original recipe. To speed up the process of cooking potatoes, I normally microwave them for 3/4 minutes, and therefore I couldn’t simply put the potatoes away for another day, and so decided to make use of my tiny little roasting tray, and experiment with the fact I had bought vegan parmesan a week or so before, and create this! This was super simple, given that it was a bit of a rushed dish, but tasted really quite indulgent – I especially liked the crispy potatoes on top, and if you want the whole dish to be crispy rather than creamy underneath then I’d advise spreading out the potatoes more thinly.
I’m sure this is a done before recipe, but I didn’t look anything up before and so to have this turn out as well as it did was really pleasing. I used the Violife prosciano wedge, which was great because it became crispy on top, however a word of warning – this cheese substitute does not melt. This was fine for me, as I hadn’t intended on making particularly creamy potatoes, and found the crispy edges on top delicious, but if you want creamier potatoes, then I would recommend either using real parmesan, or maybe even tossing the potatoes in butter or a butter substitute (such as olive oil spread!) rather than the olive oil.
Side note: Apologies for the terrible quality picture!
Ingredients (this makes a small side dish, but if you’re looking to fill a whole tray then simply use as many potatoes as necessary and make sure to have enough cheese on hand to cover it all!)
- 2 medium white potatoes
- Violife prosciano wedge/regular parmesan
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Grease the bottom of a small oven-safe (ideally ceramic) dish with olive oil.
- Prick holes in the potatoes and microwave the potatoes for 3-4 minutes. Thinly slice the potatoes – careful not to burn yourself!
- Toss the potatoes with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and lightly season – careful not to over salt as the cheese will add this.
- Place a layer of potatoes at the bottom of the dish and grate a thin, even layer of cheese on top.
- Continue layering with cheese and potatoes until the top, where you can add a little more cheese than the other layers.
- Cook at 200C for 30 minutes.